Penn State Health Lead Pharmacist - Research Hospital Pharmacy in Hershey, Pennsylvania
Penn State Health - Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Now offering a $10,000 Sign-On Bonus
As our team continues to grow, an exciting opportunity is now available for a Lead Pharmacist, in our Research Pharmacy! This exceptionally talented pharmacist will work at Penn State Health Milton S Hershey Medical Center in the heart of Central Pennsylvania where the love of candy and helping people brought our founder, Milton S. Hershey.
We are looking for people with drive, who are passionate about the future of healthcare and pharmacy. This is your chance to make a difference and join our team at Penn State Health, Hershey Medical Center, a 600 bed tertiary referral center, the home to the Penn State College of Medicine. Our dedicated team of pharmacists work daily in this Big 10 academic center to maximize quality and patient safety in accordance with federal and state pharmacy regulations and bring cutting edge therapies to patients throughout our five hospital health system.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Lead Pharmacist, Research Pharmacy manages the Investigational Drug Service Pharmacy staff and operations and oversees the investigational drugs used in over 200 clinical research trials throughout the institution. The Lead Pharmacist is responsible for:
· Serving as a resource and liaison for the Clinical Trials Offices, study investigators, research sponsors, the IRB, and pharmacy
· Overseeing staff recruitment and training
· Participating in inter- and intra-departmental meetings and committees
· Frequent and direct contact with study investigators and personnel
· Developing goals for the department to improve patient care and enhance employee engagement
Additionally, the Lead Pharmacist is responsible for the following:
· Actively preparing and dispensing investigational study medications for research subjects
· Managing drug accountability records and inventory
· Assisting investigators writing their own research studies by collaborating on the study drug design and protocol development, as well as devising blinding plans for the studies and order writing
· Reviewing patient medication profiles for drug allergies, contraindications, duplications, and major drug interactions
· Building protocols in Vestigo® for investigational drug dispensing
· Developing documents used to train the inpatient and chemotherapy pharmacy staff
· Interacting with sponsors and contract research organizations to ensure appropriate conduct of the study
· Serving as a member of the IRB (institutional review board) and other relevant committees
· Overseeing/coordinating investigator-initiated multi-center trials that are performed at other institutions
· Developing and maintaining policies and procedures
· Communicating with interdisciplinary clinical research teams, research sponsors, contract research organizations, principal investigators, and regulatory agencies
· Preparing pharmacy budget quotes for investigational protocols and amendments
We have opportunities for personal and career growth on our leadership and/or clinical teams within Pharmacy at HMC. We offer FREE ACPE credits onsite to all pharmacist and pharmacy technicians.
What we can offer you!
For eligible full time and part time employees Penn State Health offers a wide variety of career opportunities, a great work culture and generous benefits, most starting day one!
· Generous Paid Time Off and Personal Time
· Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits (No waiting period)
· 75% Penn State University Tuition Discount (Full-Time Employees)
o This benefit extends to dependents after one year
· 401K retirement plan with company contribution
· Elder Care/Child Care Resources
· Life Insurance
· Excellent Work/Life Balance with a 40 hour work week and a 6-weeks schedule
Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or Pharm D required.
Pennsylvania registration in Pharmacy or eligibility required
3 years job related experience in the specific service area of Pharmacy required.
Able to sit occasionally; stand constantly; walk frequently.
Able to lift 0-10 lbs. constantly; 11-35 lbs. occasionally.
Able to carry 0-10 lbs. frequently; 11-35 lbs. occasionally.
Able to push 0-10 lbs. constantly; 11-20 lbs. frequently; 21-35 lbs. occasionally.
Able to pull 0-20 lbs. frequently; 21-35 lbs. occasionally.
Able to climb occasionally; reach constantly.
Able to use hands for simple/firm grasping.
*Appended to this job description is the Work Task Analysis that further describes the physical requirements appropriate for this role.
WHY CENTRAL PA?
We are proud to possess a vibrant downtown area which affords exceptional cultural opportunities including the Hershey and Harrisburg Orchestras, museums, a highly rated amusement park, the Hershey Theater, farmer’s markets and some of the finest dining in the region. We are an easy distance from the Fulton Theater, York Little Theater, Lancaster’s Amish country, and walkable towns like Hummelstown and Lititz. For the outdoors enthusiast, we have ample opportunities for hiking, biking, rowing, and hunting. For sports lovers, we are home to the American Hockey League’s Hershey Bears, the Minor League Baseball’s Harrisburg Senators, and the United Soccer League’s Penn FC. We are just 100 miles from the main campus and Penn State University, the home of Penn State Athletics and the Penn State Nittany Lions! Central Pennsylvania is an exceptional combination of rural, suburban, and city living and is also within a day trip distance of some of the country’s most famous cities - New York, Washington DC, and Philadelphia.
This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, martial status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF (https://www.pennstatehealth.org/sites/default/files/Careers/Accommodation%20Statement%20-%20CAREERS.pdf) for more detailed steps for assistance.
Union: Non Bargained
Position Lead Pharmacist - Research Hospital PharmacyLocation US:PA:HersheyReq ID 25997