Penn State Health Clinical Pharmacist - Pediatrics in Hershey, Pennsylvania
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Hours: 8 (primarily days, some evenings/weekends required)
This Clinical Pharmacist role is responsible for providing the prospective evaluation and monitoring of drug therapy and make patient specific recommendations to improve pharmacotherapy outcomes for hospitalized patients. They are also responsible to provide education regarding drug therapy to health care professionals, patients and caregivers as well as instruct and educate pharmacy students and pharmacy residents.
The Penn State Health Children’s Hospital is expanding to meet the needs of children and families in central Pennsylvania. As the only Level 1 Pediatric trauma center between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, it offers more than 20 pediatric specialties and is consistently included in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals in multiple specialties.
Additional responsibilities for the Clinical Pharmacist include the following:
- Perform all of the functions of an inpatient pharmacist.
- Participate in the multidisciplinary care of inpatients with physicians/prescribers and other health care professionals.
- Monitor patient therapy including side effects, laboratory values, patient outcomes, medication reconciliation, and answering of drug information questions initiated by the medical team.
- Optimize therapy, decreasing risk of adverse effects, and improve cost by recommending appropriate changes in aspects of medication therapy including choice of drug, dose, frequency, and duration.
- Provide education to patients/caregivers regarding medication therapy.
- Instruct and educate medical and pharmacy residents and students, including precepting of pharmacy students and residents.
- Evaluate the use of specified/targeted drug therapies as determined by Department management and P&T Committee
- Provide inservice education to physicians, nurses, and other practitioners on a range of pharmacotherapy topics.
- Utilize pharmacokinetic protocols to calculate optimum drug doses and adjust doses based on changes in patient parameters or response to drug levels
Bachelors of Science degree in Pharmacy or Doctorate Degree in Pharmacy required.
ASHP-Accredited PGY-1 Pharmacy residency or 3 years of relevant (inpatient) clinical pharmacy experience required.
Active and valid PA licensure or eligibility as a Pharmacist required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Ability to prioritize and organize daily activities to meet patient care needs required.
Effective verbal communication skills, time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities required.
Ability to analyze clinical data and perform calculations.
Computer and Microsoft Office skills required.
Extensive knowledge of pharmacotherapy required.
Attention to detail and critical thinking skills required.
Effective mentoring and precepting abilities required.
Penn State Health Offers an exceptional benefit package including but not limited to:
· Generous Paid Time Off and Personal Time
· Medical Benefits (No waiting period)
· Dental and Vision Benefits
· 75% Penn State University Tuition Discount (Full-Time Employees)
o This benefit extends to dependents after one year
· Matching 401K retirement plan
ABOUT PENN STATE HEALTH:
Penn State Health is one of the leading teaching and research hospitals in the country. It is a multi-hospital health system, Academic Medical Center and Level 1 adult and pediatric trauma center serving patients and communities across Central Pennsylvania. The system includes Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Penn State Children's Hospital, and Penn State Cancer Institute in scenic Hershey, PA. Penn State Health shares an integrated strategic plan and operations with Penn State College of Medicine.
ABOUT CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA:
We are proud to possess a vibrant downtown area which affords exceptional cultural opportunities including the Hershey and Harrisburg Orchestras, museums, a highly rated amusement park, the Hershey Theater, farmer’s markets and some of the finest dining in the region. We are an easy distance from the Fulton Theater, York Little Theater, Lancaster’s Amish country, and walkable towns like Hummelstown and Lititz.
For the outdoors enthusiast, we have ample opportunities for hiking, biking, rowing, and hunting. For sports lovers, we are home to the American Hockey League’s Hershey Bears, the Minor League Baseball’s Harrisburg Senators, and the United Soccer League’s Penn FC. Central Pennsylvania is an exceptional combination of rural, suburban, and city living is within a 2-hour drive to weekend destinations such as Philadelphia, Washington DC, Annapolis, and Baltimore, and only a 3-hour drive from New York City.
If chosen for this position, you may be required to pass a Post Offer Employment Physical Exam in accordance with the measurements listed in the Work Task Analysis (WTA) report. This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information . If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Friday, email email@example.com or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF (https://cdn-static.findly.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/595/2018/05/Accommodation-Request-Updated-04.27.18.pdf) for more detailed steps for assistance.
Union: Non Bargained